History of Oliver Paipoonge
Oliver - Oliver is a rural township with an area of 164 square kilometres and a population of 2691. There are approximately 880 dwellings located within the township and two hamlet areas of Kakabeka (approx. 180 dwellings) and Murillo (approx. 150 dwellings). The township is named for Adam Oliver who turned the first sod in the Town Plot, Fort William, for the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The major physical feature in Oliver is the falls at Kakabeka.
Oliver Township was incorporated on January 1, 1879. Oliver was first settled by farmers and the township has always sustained a farm population. Farming along with tourism in Kakabeka are still the major economic activities in Oliver.
Paipoonge - Paipoonge Township is located on the south side of the Municipality and encompasses an area of 186 square kilometres and a population of 3171. There are approximately 1185 dwellings with about 30% of those located in Rosslyn Village (approx. 355 dwellings). The village first started experiencing growth in settlement in the 1880’s during a boom in silver in the Rabbit Mountain area. A ferry operated at Lot 13 facilitating mining and resident traffic across the Kaministiquia River. This also led to the development of the railway, original brick manufacturing plant and the first post office for the Township. The Township of Paipoonge was incorporated in 1904. Paipoonge in Ojibwe means “winter”.
The Townships of Oliver and Paipoonge amalgamated on January 1, 1998.
Oliver Paipoonge is one of the safest places to live in Canada.